#19 Kristina Akiona
Position: Third Base/Shortstop
Hometown: Buena Park, Calif.
Previous School: Pacifica HS
A 2012 graduate of Pacifica High School in Garden Grove, Calif. …earned four varsity letters in softball and one in volleyball…helped the powerhouse Mariners win league championships all four years—with an undefeated conference record at 12-0 in 2011 and an 11-1 record in 2012…Pacifica finished the 2012 season with a 28-3 record and was ranked No. 9 nationally and No. 5 in California according to MaxPreps…in her senior season, hit .303 (23-of-76) with three doubles, a triple and seven home runs…recorded an on-base percentage of .409 and slugging percentage of .645 with 21 runs scored with 26 RBI…as a junior hit .292 with a .500 slugging percentage and 12 runs scored…earned second-team all-league honors in her lone volleyball year while being an outside hitter…earned scholar athlete honors in both 2011 and 2012 while making the Principal’s Honor Roll the past three years.
Questions and Answers from Kristina Akiona
- Who is your hero? My parents are my heroes
- What historical figure would you like to have lunch with? The great Bambino
- What other sports did you play as a child? Soccer and Volleyball
- What do you see yourself doing in 10 years? Living in LA, with a good job & maybe a family but more importantly a good job.
- If you were a condiment, what would the bottle say the ingredients are? Hawaiian Specialty
- What's on your mp3 playlist? Literally everything
- What is your favorite memory of Wahine Softball? Hitting my first college homerun.
- What have you learned about yourself living in Hawaii? I've learned how important being independent is because my parents aren't here in Hawaii and how much I missed my family on the islands
- How is playing sports at the university level different than playing sports in high school? The competition, the intensity and just the whole atmosphere is way more serious because it's your last years of competitive softball.
- What advice would you give to a girl in junior high school that wants to be an athlete in high school or college? Make sure your injuries are taken care of if you hae any because your body goes through alot more in college,. Weightlifting, conditioning, ect.
- What academic program are you majoring in, and what do you hope to do with it? I am a business majior and I hope to just be successful with it and have a really good job.
- What is your Favorite color? Purple
- What is your favorite movie? The Sandlot
- Your ideal meal? Anything Italian
- In all of the world what city would you like to visit? Anywhere in Europe. I've never been out of the country.
Born in Kane‘ohe, O‘ahu…intends to major in business management…played for the Artesia Punishers club team for five seasons…has one older sister…parents are Johnen and Mark Akiona of Buena Park, Calif.